Reads, Writes, Eats and Cooks
This is the first installment of deshi in the dorm kitchen dedicated to my college freshman daughter, Amani. Like most second and third generation deshi’s, Amani grew up with a sophisticated palate and a wide range of tastes experiences that span spaghetti to curries. She craves diversity above all else. Here is one of her favorite snacks.
Deshi Stir Fried Ramen Noodles
One packet of any flavored Ramen noodles (Amani prefers Beef)
1/2 cup of sliced onion
1-2 Green Chilli peppers halved lengthwise
1/2 cup of frozen peas (or any vegetable, I used zucchini here)
2 tablespoons oil
1. Boil noodles as directed. (I usually microwave it in a bowl of water for 5 minutes)
2. Fry onions and green chillies in oil until slightly roasted and browned.
3. Add strained noodles and seasoning packet.
4. Stir and fry until seasoning gets well incorporated.
5. Break an egg (or two) onto the noodles and again stir until combined and cooked.
6. Add frozen peas.
7. Allow some noodles to get crunchy and fried. (Amani likes the crunchy bottom bits).
Very cheap, very fast and very yummy.