Yogurt ¼ cup
Onion Puree 2 tbs
Ginger Paste 1 tbs
Garlic Paste 1 tsp
Mace ¼ tsp
Nutmeg ¼ tsp
Salt 1 tsp
Cardamom 3 or 4
Cinnamon ½ inch stick
Bay leaf 1
Shan Morog Pulao or Biriyani spice 1 tsp
Dried Plum/ Prunes 6 or 7
Butter / Ghee 4 tbs
Onions/Shallots 1 cup (sliced and fried)
Saffron 1 tsp
Rose Water 1 tbs
Vinegar 1 tsp
Rice 2 ½ cups
Green chilies 7/8
1. Quarter chicken and marinate at least half an hour in yogurt, onion, ginger, garlic, mace, nutmeg, cardamom, cinnamon, bayleaf, plums, Shan Biriyani spice and 1 tablespoon ghee.
2. Soak saffron in rose water.
3. Half potatoes. Boil potatoes and eggs.
4. Lightly fry eggs and potatoes (add yellow coloring, if desired)
5. Fry onions or shallots until golden brown. Reserve a portion of fried onions for garnish.
6. Add 1 tsp vinegar and another tbs ghee to marinated chicken and simmer for 20 minutes until liquid is reduced. Add ½ tsp sugar.
7. Rinse and strain the rice.
8. Heat on tbs of ghee, add rice and ½ tsp salt, cook until opaque.
9. Add 5 cups of hot water to rice. Cook until half done.
10. Add half cooked rice to chicken. Stir. Add more water if needed to fully cook rice.
11. Add potatoes, eggs and green chilies.
12. Stir in saffron infused rose water and garnish with fried shallots. Serve.
YUM! Thank You, Dhua for sharing your recipe!
I tried the recipe recently and here a few notes of adjustment for the American kitchen.
1. I used two cornish hens quartered and skinned instead of one regular roast chicken.
2. Instead of whole spices that my daughters do not appreciate biting into, I added 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon and cardamom each.
3. I used 4 medium yellow potatoes (halved).
4. I added 6 cups of water. The rice was almost done by the time I added it to the chicken.
5. I added another tablespoon of ghee and simmered until the oil separated from the chicken in order to gently fry the pieces in the spices.
6. I also added 1 teaspoon of salt in the rice water.
It was moist, delicious and so aromatic with the spices, the rose water and the saffron. Truly a special occasion treat!