Reads, Writes, Eats and Cooks
Here is what you need. Next time you’re home we can make it together.
1. Shredded Chicken: Do the Ina Garten method of roasting 2 or 3 chicken breasts (bone in, skin on) sprinkled with salt, pepper and oil at 350 for 35 minutes or until the skin gets crispy and juices run clear. Make more. You can always use the extra shredded chicken in curries, soup or sandwiches.OR….just buy a roasted chicken from the grocery store.
2. For the Sauce: Tomatillos (7-8), half onion, one bunch of cilantro, 2 garlic cloves, cumin, coriander. Or just buy a canned version.
3. Two avocados and two tomatoes, other half of onion, cilantro, one lime.
4. Tortillas: I prefer corn but some (most) people in our house like flour.
5. Cheese: Queso fresco is best, but any cheese would do. For a low cal version, leave cheese and cream out. And, instead of frying the tortillas in oil to make them soft, dip in the warm sauce and then roll. The fast flauta trick doesn’t work with the low cal version.
Once you have all the ingredients, here is what you do:
1. Peel and wash tomatillos.
2. Simmer (with water that comes half way up the tomatillos) with two garlic cloves and half onion about 20 minutes until soft.
3. While tomatillos are simmering, chop the pico de gallo.
4. Shallow fry tortillas in vegetable oil making them soft, pliable and yummy.
5. Stir fry chicken with cumin, coriander, salt and pepper. Add left over salsa if you have any. Add a can of black beans if you’d like. Add half of the chopped pico (before the addition of avocados) to the mix.
6. Blend the tomatillos, water and all. Add a fresh jalepeno or green chilies, cilantro, salt, pepper.
7. Roll each tortilla with the shredded chicken mixture and cheese.
8. Fill up your pan. Bake just like this as flautas for those who prefer no heat and no sauce. This is the batch I make for Lucy and Ava.
9. Pour salsa over the rolls and bake until bubbly at 350 for about 30 minutes. I add a hint of cream or mexican crema for Jim.
10. Serve with avocado salad or guacamole and sour cream on the side.
Enjoy! Hope this works for you!