As the second image shows, Christmas dinner in Austell, Georgia was soothingly summer on a plate. The last stop during my holiday travels it represents how far my taste buds have traveled in place and time. Recipes for half of the plate begin with “grow your own okra, green beans, corn.” The other half of the plate with smoked turkey, dressing and gravy had all the longed-for familiar and savory holiday flavors. The magic of homegrown summer vegetables made the dinner extra special. Dennis and Rachel are most definitely blessed with green thumbs, patience and gardening knowledge. As the last image shows, dinner was greatly appreciated and enjoyed. Just simple, homey and delicious. Can’t get a more local dinner than what’s grown in the backyard!
- Grow okra and pick at appropriate time.
- Slice 1/4″ thick pieces. 4 cups.
- In a colander pour 1/4 cup of buttermilk over sliced okra.
- 1/2 cup flour + 1/2 cup white corn meal. Place lid and shake until pieces are coated.
- Shallow fry in an inch of canola oil.
- Drain on paper towel and watch the okra disappear.
- Grow corn and pick at appropriate time.
- Shuck and silk.
- Soak in water.
- Cut off cobb, twice. Once, if big grains are desired.
- Cook on stove over low heat, stirring constantly. Bring to boil.
- Salt and butter if needed.
- Grow Blue lake green beans.
- Take ends off, string them if needed.
- 4 cups broken into 2 inch pieces.
- Boulion cube + 2 cups water + black pepper.
- Boil until tender.
- 2 Tbs Olive Oil + 2 Tbs flour in pan. Stir until brown.
- Add 1 can chicken broth.
- Add 1 can cream of chicken soup.
- Add boiled and chopped turkey liver, neck meat, giblets and two boiled eggs.
Still need to add Patti’s dressing recipe and Dennis’ Smoked Turkey recipe. More to come.