The following is dedicated to all my artists, poet, philosopher, weirdo friends who like me often feel like they don’t belong. Here’s to you!
I particularly like number 5 🙂
1. Give up your vows of silence which only serve to protect the old and the stale.
2. Unwind your vigilance, soften your belly, open your jaw and speak the truth you long to hear.
3. Be the champion of your right to be here.
4. Know that it is you who must first accept your rejected qualities, adopting them with the totality of your love and commitment. Aspire to let them never feel outside of love again
5. Venerate your too-muchness with an ever-renewing vow to become increasingly weird and eccentric.
6. Send out your signals of originality with frequency and constancy, honouring whatever small trickle of response you may get until you reach a momentum.
7. Notice your helpers and not your unbelievers.
8. Remember that your offering needs no explanation. It is its own explanation. Go it alone until you are alone with others. Support each other without hesitation.
9. Become a crack in the network that undermines the great towers of establishment.
10. Make your life a wayfinding, proof that we can live outside the usual grooves.
11. Brag about your escape.
12. Send your missives into the network to be reproduced. Let your symbols be adopted and adapted and transmitted broadly into the new culture we’re building together.
Turner, Toko-pa. Belonging: Remembering Ourselves home (Kindle Locations 1106-1109). Her Own Room Press. Kindle Edition.